An E-mail From Pete
Pete and I never e-mailed back and forth very much, more of a text/call situation. On the rare occasion he did e-mail, it was usually good. Enjoy…
I was asked to write a list of bullet points which details all of the stuff I bring to the table in a professional environment. Here’s what I sent to them. Keep reading until the end.
* I’m a subject matter expert in the C# language and compiled CIL. In a developer support role, I assist developers in matters of performance, security, and reliability, as well as providing style and readability guidelines.
* I have a solid understanding of object-oriented framework design. I have developed shared libraries which wrap complex tasks (like authentication/authorization and e-mail encryption) into easy-to-use object models.
* I have extensive experience with various Microsoft technologies and their corresponding APIs, including Windows, Active Directory, IIS, and Exchange. On an infrastructure team, I can automate various administrative tasks which would otherwise have to be performed manually, thus freeing up system administrators to work on other things. I also write automated monitoring tools, which can detect or prevent system problems early on.
* I strive for a detailed understanding of the frameworks and protocols I work with. In the course of analyzing problems and developing compliant implementations, I have read the complete specifications for C# and the CLI, as well as the RFCs for protocols including SMTP, HTTP, SSL, and S/MIME.
* I’m security-minded, to the point of being a bit paranoid. As a code reviewer, I detect security problems with applications before they’re released, including common problems such as SQL injection and cross-site scripting, as well as application-specific problems, such as privilege-escalation vulnerabilities and poor cryptographic implementations.
* I have a logical, structured, and level-headed (some ex-girlfriends would say ”emotionally unavailable”) approach to problem solving. I don’t panic easily. In a crisis situation, I can analyze root causes of problems, and implement solutions quickly and efficiently.
* I know several hilarious jokes, and have amusing personal anecdotes which cover a wide range of topics, including circus acrobatics and rabid groundhogs.
Submitted by Jonathan Everett